The Wahoo (Acanthocybium solandri) is a scombrid fish found worldwide in tropical and subtropical waters.
The Wahoo is known to sports fishermen for its speed and high-quality flesh. It is commonly referred to as Peto by many Caribbean and Central Americans.
In most parts of its range the Wahoo is a highly-prized catch. It reaches a good size, is often available in remote shoreline waters, and provides a mightly fight on
light to medium fishing equipment & tackle. The Wahoo is famed among fisherman for the speed and strength of its first run. The aggressive habits make it a favorite catch.
Best Time to Catch Them
Fishing Equipment Used
- Trolling lures & Skipbaits
- 30-40 lb. monofilament line
- 50-60 lb. line for trolling heavy lures or large baits
- Most commonly used hook sizes are 4/0 to 6/0
- Rods lengths vary from 5 1/2 to 6 feet for lure trolling, 6 to 7 feet for bait fishing and light lures
Wahoo Fishing Testimonials